Spring is in the air and there’s no better time to organize your home, clean it, and get it ready for a new season. It’s also a good time to tackle clutter in the home, which can lead to fire hazards, excessive mould, and unwanted animals.
Here’s a checklist to help keep your home clean, clutter-free, and safe.
- Swap out your winter wear and reorganize your closets.
- Donate unused items such as clothing, shoes, electronics, furniture and books.
- Shred unneeded documents that contain confidential information.
Around your home
- Wash all floors, walls and baseboards.
- Clean your carpets.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they’re in good working order, and change the batteries.
- Clean your wood burning fireplace and have the chimney inspected.
- Change your furnace filter.
- Service your air conditioner.
Outside your home
- Clean up debris from gutters, near windows and around your yard.
- Check your roof for damage and look for cracks in bricks and your home’s foundation.
- Wash all windows and screens.
- Ensure downspouts are clear and water runs away from your home’s foundation.
- Check your deck and other wood structures for rot.
- Clear above-ground pools of any leftover snow.
- Trim tree branches and make sure they don’t touch your house or utility wires.